Friday 4 October 2013

Trade Unions: I was wrong.

Originally blogged here: http://no2bedroomtax.co.uk/2013/06/trade-unions-i-was-wrong/

When I first started speaking at public meetings I proudly stated that ‘I am not a trade unionist.’
It was the truth. My view of Trade Unions was tempered with a feeling of resentment, as I thought trade unions did not protect those out of work.
I felt that it was unfair that Trade Unions did not have a scheme to protect and represent those out of work, especially when the Government was overtly attacking those out of work
When I first heard Jack Ferguson, (the regional organiser for Unite Communities Scotland), speak about Unite Communities, I thought that it seemed like a good scheme but my cynicism led me to believe that it was nothing but another way for trade unions to gain members.
I was wrong.
I also thought that Trade Unions were a relic of the past. With no relevance in modern day political struggles.
I was wrong.
I thought Trade Unions would wish to take over grassroots campaigns and try to push their agenda to the fore.
I was wrong.
AU header logo
The STUC’s ‘Austerity Uncovered’ tour is one of many initiatives by Trade Unions that is designed to empower communities.

What I saw instead was Union branches and members working tirelessly for communities. I saw action rather than just words. I saw people being protected by free legal advice, I saw people getting advocacy and I saw a genuine effort to unite communities.
I see Trades Councils pro-actively working in their communities, empowering individuals and sections of society.
I see Trade Unionists on the front line fighting austerity.
Unite Community membership is aimed for those who are out of work

If you look back in history, Trade Unions have always been on the side of working class families.  Our battles have been their battles.  And if we want to beat Austerity then it is essential that those in work and those out of work unite together as organised mass movements of men and woman do bring about political change.
Trade Unions aren't perfect. They have been under attack since their inception and have been let down by politicians and political parties who have not done enough to strengthen the role that Unions can play in politics and in our society.  Their funding of the Labour Party in the last few years has perplexed many(including myself) considering the actions of the Labour Party in the last two decades.


But for me, the advantages well outweigh the disadvantages.  My family and I are now members of Unite Communities. Being part of a Trade Union provides my family support and defence against the Government’s attacks on my community.
So the next time I speak, I will proudly state: “I AM a Trade Unionist!”

Untitled-1



No comments:

Post a Comment